Fans are of various types nowadays and each have been designed for their definitive and specific purpose. Each have a plus point of its own and with their drawbacks which are still being rectified from the design. Fan have indeed evolved from their initial design and state in terms of performance, efficiency and aesthetically pleasing appearance. The fans have now also been demarcated into many categories or types. These various types include the following:
- Ceiling fan
- Pedestal fan
- Tower fans
- Bladeless fans
- Exhaust fans
- Table fans
As stated above each and every type of fan has been built for a specific purpose and thus they have a definite speciality. They are different from each other in terms of usage and the nature of their usage. Comparing them on a very random basis would be basically impossible. Thus, to compare two types of fans one must compare them on terms of specific factors as to how they perform in set parameters.
Pedestal fans and ceiling fans are the two types of fans which have been used since a very long time and used mostly in terms of numbers and one certainly has a question as to what are the differences between these fans are how are they similar or which is better than the other.
The factors on which these two fans can be compared are as follows:
- Portability: In terms of portability the ceiling fans do not hold any chance of competition as they are devices which are fixed at one spot on the ceiling and do not move from their place whereas the pedestal fans are totally portable fans. These long fans can be lifted from one place easily and shifted to another location wherever they are required.
- Initial set-up: The ceiling fan lags in this factor as well as the initial set-up of the ceiling fan is a tad more difficult when compared to the pedestal fans. the ceiling fans need to be hung from a ceiling wall and this process is difficult for many people who have not done this earlier. Apart from that these require a connection wire where they are to be hung for them to get supply from the main supply. There is no such requirement for the pedestal fans their initial setup is very easy as one only must get the fan to stand on its central rod and adjust the fan to the height required and then the user just has to plug in the wire to a socket and enjoy the airflow.
- Airflow: In terms of airflow ceiling fans are a little more better if cooling of a general area is required. These fans are quite efficient when it comes to cooling a room. When pedestal fans are talked about these fans are very useful if the airflow is required in a specific area and these can provide a strong gust of air but to a specific area only. It does have a sweep capacity due to its oscillation property but this sweep volume is not very much and thus the average cooling capacity is not much.
- Cost: Pedestal fans are cheaper as compared to the ceiling fans and the pedestal fans do not require that much energy for the same amount of airflow thus pedestals are found to be cost efficient.
- Design: in terms of designs the ceiling fans are much better as compared to the pedestal fans as the ceiling fans come in many versatile designs to go according to your interior décor. The fans even have an additional lighting system which are never provided in the pedestals. Read here for more on ceiling fan designs.
Both the fans are good for the specific job they perform and one should go for the type of the fan as one has a requirement and should not decide by other factors. Choice of fans should be as per the job they are to perform.